Author Topic: Camera help!  (Read 2095 times)

dan-o

Camera help!
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:15:16 PM »
I have an older Sony Ciber-shot, 3.2 mega pixtel with the 6X zoom.  I get great pictures of my fishing and hunting and or general photo stuff.  I cannot get good pics of my fish and fish tanks close up.  I get blurred images and if the subject moves slightly the pic is shot.  I have tried everything in the manual and things still mess up.....I suspect that I read the instructions wrong.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to setting the shutter speed and focus selection...........Also what is a good pic size selection for posting the pics??
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:16:57 PM by Dan-o »

Offline Lin

• Just Added My Fish
    • View Profile
Re: Camera help!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
Hi Dan-O,
No expert but here's my 2 cents...

Many people told me I was holding my camera at the wrong angle to the glass. I tried every angle (OK most of them)and my shots were still blurry and out of focus.
But here's what I found on my own.
Many cameras have a manual focus...if your camera has it try it.
If camera is set on auto focus it will try to focus on the glass, unless you have your lens practically touching the tank.

Use a tripod or something stable, set you timer for 2 to 5 second delay, focus, and click

Here's link to some of my pics in our image gallery. Will have to find some really good ones and send shutter speed, F stop, etc, etc,

http://www.charlestonreefers.org/index.php?ind=gallery&op=result_search
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

Offline Lin

• Just Added My Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:56:42 PM »
Link will not work.
Will post pics and specifics later.

Or check out the gallery

search word    LIN
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

dan-o

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:02:01 PM »
Lin   setting the timer to 2 to 5 seconds.....I'm missing something here.  I want the shutter speed to be in the milli seconds to get stop motion , don't I??

dan-o

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »
I went back and reviewed how I have been using the camera with what you have said in mind.......I notice that there is a tiny delay after the button is pushed and the camera clicks.  The flash is the same way.  I wonder if this is normal for digital cameras or does mine have a glitch??

Offline skipm

• Global Moderator
  • Mature Reef
  • December 2, 1998-April 29, 2008 I miss her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
A slight delay is quite common for a digicam.  One thing to check is the minimum focus distance for your camera, some cameras are not able to take pics that are very close.  I have seen some that had to have a distance of over a foot in order to get a decent pic.
The only thing that happens fast in a reeftank is disaster......and an empty wallet!

dan-o

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »
Mine will focus to .5 meters manualy and to several inches with the closeup setting and zoom.  The delay I mentioned is what is killing me.  If the subject moves at all after the button is pressed, it's blurred.