Author Topic: Heart Shaped Parrots?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline makeitmyday

• Fish Out of Water
    • View Profile
Heart Shaped Parrots?
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »
I think the species name for them is under Chichlids... however I'd lke to get one for my tank, but the woman at the petstore said I shouldn't because they are very aggressive, and I have all community fish... but i've also read on the net that they aren't aggressive towards other speices of fish, so I dont know.. can anyone clear this up for me? weather it'd be okay or not to get one? thanks!!  ;)

Offline davenia7

• Mature Reef
    • View Profile
Re: Heart Shaped Parrots?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »
They're a GE (genetically engineered) fish and they have no tails.  Besides being crazy... I don't think that without tails they'd have a good escape plan if roommates started picking on them.
Also, GE fish don't, in my experience, have good life spans.  I don't know why, but some of the things that nature gives a fish that GE likes to breed out of them might be what is necessary for them to live and be able to protect themselves.
I got "glo-fish" when they first came out, and bc they were so bright, my angels hunted them down and ate them, even in a heavily planted tank... they couldn't camoflage.
Just saying, probably not a good choice all around.

Here's some info for your perusal:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=331
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:26:18 PM by davenia7 »
-5 gal. hex salt nano
-20l gal. salt nano
-55 gal. Malawi Cichlid tank
I've recently downsized my tanks because I've been really busy and it was just too much.

Offline makeitmyday

• Fish Out of Water
    • View Profile
Re: Heart Shaped Parrots?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
oh wow, well thanks for the info, I wont be getting any than... off to find something else!! :)