Author Topic: Venustus?  (Read 4013 times)

Offline spider

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
Venustus?
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »
Picklefish......You mention that you keep Venustus.  I assume that it is the African Cichlid called Giraffe Cichlids.  Are you breeding them?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:27:02 PM by scoopspider »

Offline Picklefish

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
Re: Venustus?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
Not yet. I do have 1 honking big male in 1 of the 240G tanks. The others just aren't big enough to keep them in there with him yet. I am breeding several other species of africans though. Here are a few fish that I have spawning right now. I also try to spawn my assorted varities of bristlenose catfish. I have albino, longfinned albino, LF brown and just got some Calicos and long finned calicos.

Julidochromis dickfeldi, transcriptus and marleri
Neolamprologus buescheri "Gombi"
Protomelas spilonotus "Tanzanian Insignus"
Psuedotropheus polit
Synodontis lucipinnis
Synodontis multipunctatus

Offline spider

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:12:27 PM »
You sound busy!  I messed around with some Africans back when they were all brand new around here.  Had fun and made a few bucks, back then ;-)  There are so many varieties now that it seems almost impossible to keep up with them.  From your previous posts I have gotten the impression that you are good with the cats.

Offline Picklefish

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
Not nearly as good as I should be. Although the bristlenose seem to be breeding well. They take forever to grow out and I haven't had a cory cat spawning in forever.

Offline spider

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
It is good to see that someone else reads the freshwater section.  I was about to give it up.  I would like to see a group of freshwater people get together on a local forum and discuss the hobby.  Thank you for your replies and keep them coming as you have a very interesting thing going there.

Offline Picklefish

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
As far as I know this IS the local forum. LOL

Offline skipm

• Global Moderator
  • Mature Reef
  • December 2, 1998-April 29, 2008 I miss her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:39:49 AM »
This is the only forum in the area that I am aware of and we are very happy to have those that keep freshwater tanks on here.  There are many of us that also have freshwater tanks or at least have much experience with them as well.  There are even a couple of members that work in LFS.  I would love to see the freshwater section of the forum get more traffic.
The only thing that happens fast in a reeftank is disaster......and an empty wallet!

Offline davenia7

• Mature Reef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
I'm a fresh waterer too... but I've been MIA.  I'm back now... and hey, I've got cichlids.  The meanest and dumbest fish I've ever had... but man are they gorgeous.
-5 gal. hex salt nano
-20l gal. salt nano
-55 gal. Malawi Cichlid tank
I've recently downsized my tanks because I've been really busy and it was just too much.

Offline Picklefish

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
and what kind of cichlids might they be ??

Offline davenia7

• Mature Reef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
Well the red zebras actually made babies in there. And then there's oscar the auratus. Have some yellow labs (the big one is big bird) and then my cats (why can't I think of what kind bert and ernie are)and a pleco. The big red zebra(big daddy) and oscar rule their indivual tank sides with iron fists. The castle in the middle is the iron curtain.
-5 gal. hex salt nano
-20l gal. salt nano
-55 gal. Malawi Cichlid tank
I've recently downsized my tanks because I've been really busy and it was just too much.