Author Topic: Perfect 28 reef filtration?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline grabthereef

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
Perfect 28 reef filtration?
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:45 PM »
just wondering... in a perfect world :dollarbill: what would be the absolute best filtration system for a 28 gal bowfront reef?

Offline skipm

• Global Moderator
  • Mature Reef
  • December 2, 1998-April 29, 2008 I miss her.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect 28 reef filtration?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:09:47 AM »
The most common type of filtration for a reef is fully cured live rock and a well functioning protein skimmer.  This is also the simplest and IMO least expensive option that is suitable for a reef tank.  You can get as simple of elaborate as you want, there is even a filtration system available that is built from a kidney dialysis machine, very expensive but also very thorough.
The only thing that happens fast in a reeftank is disaster......and an empty wallet!

Offline SaltyTX

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »
For one that small, I'd suggest plenty of live rock and plenty of flow.  I had a system running that size with live rock filtration only and it worked out well.  I only kept 2 fish, a shrimp a few snails and some corals in there though.  pretty light bio-load.

Offline wbrown

• Fish Out of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
I'm a big fan of refugiums myself. Drill that tank and plumb in a 10 or 20 gallon tank with some baffles to squash the bubbles, add macro algae and hide yer skimmer in the 'fuge.
 Adding volume helps keep your parameters stable, having a fuge light on a reverse cycle will keep your ph stable, having macro will reduce your nitrate levels.
 Only cons I can think of is more places to start leaks, higher power return pump ($) and having a stand to hide it in. Good thing is the leaks can be stopped IF they happen at startup, the pumps last a long time, and a cabinet with doors just looks 'right'.
I have my 90G Display tank, a 16G bowfront, and 120G sump all tied together.
over 100G and counting.

Offline grabthereef

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
i really like the naturalness of the filtration! i wonder at what point it would be necessary to do more of a fuge.  i have lots of liverock, a hang on the back fuge with live rubble, and good flow.