Author Topic: Declining local breeders  (Read 2582 times)

Offline spider

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
Declining local breeders
« on: November 08, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
Picklefish.....I have discovered that a few of the local fish breeders have given up and no longer breed or offer their fish......I can see that the marine fish keeping hobby is declining, but I find it sad to see many long time freshwater breeders getting out of it.......The Asians have grabbed a big part of the market, but one could get decent local or in country fish at good prices.......I no longer breed because of age and health....I wonder if this is true for so many others.

With the decline of in country breeding and the growing restriction on marine creatures, I wonder what this hobby is coming to?

I wonder if you still breed the catfish or if "Jedburg Johny" still does the Africans and Koi.

I won't be sad to see the marine hobby fade away because of the high mortality of the critters imported and the destruction to the environment in the marine trades.

Offline nemosreef

• Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
Re: Declining local breeders
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »
Johnny is still breeding and selling africans and koi....
For it is not 10,000 times I have tried and failed, but 10,000 ways I have found that have not worked.

38gal. Freshwater Planted Aquarium, 10gal. Freshwater Planted Aquarium.

Offline minfinger

• Administrator
  • Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefers Founder
    • View Profile
    • mikeinfinger.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
I had a friend that was breeding africans on a small scale and selling to TL.  However he moved to Japan on business.

I forget her name, but I wouldn't be surprised if that chick isn't breeding anymore either.
Webmaster & Founder
Sadly I only have the Reef Tank in my mind :-(

*** WEBSITE HOSTING AND DESIGN
$300 for simple Small Business Package, $100/yr Hosting Service available.

Offline Surfzone

• Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »
I know that Amy who does the gobies and clowns also does a lot of freshwater breeding too. IMO in the beginning the freshwater hobby was just as destructive to the environment as the saltwater hobby. There where a few South American and Asian freshwater species that where over collected to the point of being put on  the endangered species watch list. The freshwater hobby's saving grace where the hobbiest who put the effort into trying to captive breed the fish that they loved so much. This is what the saltwater hobby is gearing toward to help out both the industry and the environment by providing healthy captive stock at a reasonable price. Today more and more clown fish in the trade are captive bread along with some dotty backs. What the saltwater industry needs are hobbiest like us who are willing to put the effort into figuring out what individual species need to not only spawn, but to also raise the larvae to a juvenile stage where they can be taken to their new homes. Everyday someone somewhere in the world has made progress toward this goal with at least one species. As of right now Clown fish, dotty backs, neon gobies, yellow watchman gobies, seahorses, and many others are being offered to the trade captive bread from the hobbiest and also more and more fish on wholesalers list are being offered as tank raised and or captive bread. This is something that just takes time and effort. It didn't happen over night with freshwater, and it won't take over night with saltwater either.

Check out www.mofib.org to see what progress has been made in the saltwater industry.

As for the decline in freshwater well i work in an aquarium shop and well I see more and more people coming in who want to change their freshwater tank in to a saltwater tank. and more people who are first timers are starting with saltwater rather than freshwater.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:11:53 PM by Surfzone »
Kevin

Offline Picklefish

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »
There are still a few of us FW fish geeks floating around. I know my "fire for the hobby" sometimes wanes a little bit and I won't be out in the fishroom every single day but I have never completely lost interest. AFAIK Jedburg Johnny is still going strong but I don't get out that way very often. I also have friends, Eric and Bobby, who sell alot of Africans out of their unit in Ladson. Me....As long as I stay out of trouble with my wife then my fish are doing what I want them to do for me. hehe

Offline minfinger

• Administrator
  • Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefers Founder
    • View Profile
    • mikeinfinger.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:15:43 AM »
In Raleigh there are several large local breeders.
Webmaster & Founder
Sadly I only have the Reef Tank in my mind :-(

*** WEBSITE HOSTING AND DESIGN
$300 for simple Small Business Package, $100/yr Hosting Service available.

Offline Picklefish

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:10 AM »
Quite a few in Charlotte and I know of opne in Wilmington.