Author Topic: Phosphates  (Read 1710 times)

Offline leeannhaselden@gmail.com

• Fish Out of Water
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
Phosphates
« on: March 14, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
I have a 55g FOWLR with ~80lb live rock that has been up and running for several years now... I'm wanting to convert it into a reef tank; but, alas, I used Folly tap water to start it up and top it off this whole time :/  I've been doing 10g water changes with an RO unit I recently acquired daily for the last week or so and the [PO4]= 2ppm. I just added 3/4c Phosguard to the sump yesterday. Am I wasting my time trying to lower the phosphate concentrations this way? Any idea how long Phosguard typically takes to "do work"?

Offline unknowns

• Cycling Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Phosphates
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
It will just take some time to get the phosphates down.  The Phosguard should do the trick over time.  I would test the levels every couple of days and if you see that the levels are no longer falling remove the old phosguard and replace with new.  You are basicly looking to fill up the old phosguard and start the process over.  The biggest source of phosphates in the aquarium is normally the food.  So I would watch how much food I'm adding to the tank as well.  Some folks will rinse the food with Ro/Di water before adding it to the tank.  As with all things reef tank related time is your friend and just take it slow.

Offline js1218

• Global Moderator
  • Mature Reef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
Very well said
js1218

Offline ryan_uscfan

• Just Added My Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
2 ppm is really really high.

I am not too big of fan of phosguard.  I would buy tlf phosban for now on if you are getting it tideline. You can save some money buying it in bulk online at http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/ Its called GFO.

This stuff really works well in a reactor. If you look in the selling forum someone is selling a media reactor right now in james island for only $15, you will need a small pump to run it.  http://charlestonreefers.org/forum/index.php?topic=4151.0

In a reef you will love GFO! I buy pounds of this stuff at a time.