Author Topic: DIY sump  (Read 4895 times)

Offline FishFreak89

• Fish Out of Water
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
Re: DIY sump
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
always best to error on the side of caution when it comes to water level in the fuge... because you've also got to remember when power goes out, there's additional water in your skimmer (depending on how large your skimmer is, it could be substantial) that is above water level in the sump as well...

My first design  made sense on paper, but once I tested unplugging all pumps/skimmer it was too close for my likin so I redid it.

Offline SCdubr

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
Never thought about the skimmer. I've torn it apart and am getting the baffles redone at 8" and totally redesigning it.

Offline SDangerfield

• Newletter Sender(s)
  • Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
I have heard that you should design your sump around the best skimmer you can afford. I know that some people don't run there skimmer all the time, because they don't want to over skim their tank.
I personally think you should have your skimmer before you lay out your sump, that way you know you will have room for it and can get rid of all the bubbles it creates before they make it to your return pump.

Offline SCdubr

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
I have heard that too. The skimmer I have is a small footprint one..I think like 5x7. I was over at JS1218's house and took a look at his design and it kinda made sense for what I'm going for. Now to just get the glass cut again....

Offline SCdubr

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
Picking up the new baffles tomorrow. Hopefully get them siliconed this weekend. I will post some pics of the design.

Offline SCdubr

• Just Added My Fish
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:02 AM »
Finally was able to find time to silicone the baffles in. With the new design (thanks John) the supply is split and goes to the left where the refugium is and to the right where the skimmer is. It all makes it way to the middle where the return pump is. 

Offline SDangerfield

• Newletter Sender(s)
  • Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
That is different then any I have seen. I never thought about doing it like that, but I think it will work just the same.
Do you have the tank running now or are you waiting to get the sump together?