Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 1430 times)

Offline turboreef318

• Fish Out of Water
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have been a member of the forum for a little while now but haven't done much more than browse other's posts.  I am very interested on getting involved in the hobby on a local level and thought it best to introduce myself here first.  My name is Trey and I have been in the hobby for around 5 years.  Currently I have three systems running...a 120 gal mixed reef, a 20 gal frag/observation tank, and my newest project, a breeding system with a 235 gal water volume that just got water added for the first time today.

Offline js1218

• Global Moderator
  • Mature Reef
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:29:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum. What are you going to start breeding ?
js1218

Offline turboreef318

• Fish Out of Water
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
I am going to start with clownfish but that is mainly just to learn and gain some experience.  I am really interested in the captive bred gobies, blennies, and possibly dottybacks. My goal isn't to make money so if I end up with pairs of a couple of different species I will be happy.

Offline js1218

• Global Moderator
  • Mature Reef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:10:25 AM »
Sound good as you do it keep post and a few pic would be great to
js1218

Offline SDangerfield

• Newletter Sender(s)
  • Mature Reef
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
 I am glad you decided to post, I haven't seen much on breeding saltwater fish.  This will be very interesting, to see how things go for you.

Post some pics if you can, I am sure we all would like to see as things progress.

Offline turboreef318

• Fish Out of Water
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
Ok here are a couple pics.  The first is my 120 gal mixed reef.  This tank is almost a year old, but most of the coral and fish came from my old 75 gal.  The plan for this tank is to slowly transition to more sps towards the top of the rock work but keep a nice assortment of lps and softies in the mid and lower levels.  Pic number two is the new breeding rack and sump.  My larval rearing station and quarantine tank wouldn't fit in the picture but they are empty right now so they aren't that exciting.  I am having second thoughts about the way i have the breeding rack set up now though.  After leak testing and running water through the system for the first time yesterday, I have concerns about the 75 gal tank that I was going to use as a juvenile grow out. It holds water fine for now but the tank itself was made in 2000 (according to the little sticker on the bottom panel) and hasn't had water in it since I upgraded to the 120 nearly a year ago. From everything I have read, the silicon seams on glass tanks seem to have a lifespan of around 10 years.  Coupled with the fact that it has been in the garage for a year ( and was used as a beard dragon tank earlier in its life), I am now uncomfortable using it in this new system.  Also I am thinking of re-doing the plumbing so that the bloodstock tanks on the top level drain directly into the sump instead of into the lower level and then into the sump.  Also, while I'm making changes, I am going to upgrade the 10 gallon broodstock tank on the top level to 20 gal tanks (ignore the fact that there are only 2 tanks up there now.  I was collecting them as I could find a good deal.  There will be 5 total). What do y'all think?

Offline SantaMonicaHelp

• Cycling Poster
  • Charleston Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
Hi Trey,
Welcome to Charleston Reefers Club ;)

Your tank looks so amazing !
Why do you decide to do different systems?

Zhenya