Author Topic: My first BTA  (Read 611 times)

Offline Donivan2009

• Fish Out of Water
  • Reef On!
    • View Profile
My first BTA
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
So 2 days ago I picked up a beautiful BTA at Joe's in Charleston. I have been researching anemones for months now, and I had originally planned on waiting until my tank was more mature before I got one. But seeing this beautiful guy, and the great price, I couldn't help letting my anticipation get the best of me. The tank is a 90 gallon corner bow front that has been up and running a little over three months. It has fully cycled and I had good water parameters the day I brought it home. I placed the BTA in the tank, on a rock where I had hoped he would stay, but I had a feeling he would move. As soon as he went into the water, he regained all of his bubble tips, and looked beautiful. He didnt move very much the first day, other than the occasional shrinking and expanding but not excessively. That night after the lights went out, I noticed a couple hours later he completely closed up. I then got up in the middle of the night to find he had moved to the back side of the rock. I let him be, and in the morning he had established himself in a good spot on the front of the same rock at the opening of a little cave. He stayed there all day, looking pretty good. He had great color, stayed open all day and had most of his bubble tips (but not all). But once again, last night when the lights went out, he did the exact same thing. Closed up, and started moving. This morning, the dawn lights came on and I found him near where he was yesterday, but farther in the cave. Now that the lights are on, he seems to be trying to make his way back to where he was outside the cave.

So my question is, should I be worried yet? I know it isn't a huge deal that he is moving around a bit, but why only when he lights go off? Am I being overly paranoid at this point? I am getting ready to check my water chemistry and its scheduled for its weekly water change today of 20%. Should I change more or less than 20%? Or should I not do a water change at all yet?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me. The picture is from yesterday morning.

Offline SantaMonicaHelp

• Cycling Poster
  • Charleston Visitor
    • View Profile
Re: My first BTA
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
Hi Donivan,

This bta coral looks so nice ;)

Several months passed, how is it now?
Did you find the answer to your questions?

Zhenya