Author Topic: Mushroom fragging  (Read 2135 times)

Offline thomas

• Just Added My Fish
    • View Profile
Mushroom fragging
« on: August 22, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=888850&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Has anyone tried this?
I'd like to do it on some single "super red" and "super blues" i have but i don't want to kill them off as they are my only pieces. Chris at tideline told me these colors tend to grow slow.

Offline jasonj90

• Established Tank
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Mushroom fragging
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:33:54 PM »
i didnt read the thread you linked since it was so long. but shrooms are very easy to do. you can simply slice the polyp in a few pieces and they will eventually form a new polyp and a new mouth. if you are looking to make some $$$ you can take a polyp and cut it off its base. get some tank water and the shroom and blend it not alot, but so you still see pieces. once youve blended the shroom you simply pour the slurry over some rock, make sure that the slurry settles on the rock and is not blown around your tank. this is a sure fire way to completely cover almost everything it touches once it seeds out. some people like to cut off pizza pieces from a shroom and pin in to a rock using wedding veil and a rubber, once the piece attatches you can remove the wedding veil. the parent colony will eventually heal back to normal in a week or so...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 08:39:04 PM by jasonj90 »

Offline thomas

• Just Added My Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:17:15 PM »
Yeah man. I just tried the pizza method this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope I didn't screw it up because it was my favorite mushroom and I only had one piece. Guess I will know in a week.

I added the link actually for the video. The guy shows step by step how to do it.

Coincidentally I ran across your post about the gsp invasion while I was browsing those threads.

Offline jasonj90

• Established Tank
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:43:02 PM »
yea those things get bad! i know how to frag almost everything so if you ever need to know, feel free to ask. good luck to you, let us know how things work out...

Offline aquawolf

• Established Tank
  • Charleston Reefer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:52:25 PM »
Definitely keep us posted on your progress.  The blender deal almost sounds like cruel and unusual punishment, but then again I wouldn't want to be cut into pizza slices either.  :)

Offline thomas

• Just Added My Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:22:14 PM »
yeah man. I'm a little hesitant to try the blender thing right yet. But maybe once I have a few mushrooms going